NetBSD/mac68k Frequently Asked Questions with Answers
Colin Wood, v1.3.2, 5 January 2001
This is the list of Frequently Asked Questions and Answers for
NetBSD/mac68k. Lawrence Kesteloot (firstname.lastname@example.org) wrote the original
document and David Holcomb wrote the newer version upon which this
document is based.
- 9.1 Now I've got NetBSD working, so where do I get X?
- 9.2 When I type
startx I get the message:
startx: Command not found. What's wrong?
- 9.3 I can't get X to run. Does this have anything to do with having a read-only filesystem?
- 9.4 After I type
startx something weird happened: I got six really tiny screens on the top of my monitor. Can anyone help me with this one?
- 9.5 When I type
startx I get the message:
xinit: libXmu.so.6.0 not found. What's wrong?
- 9.6 When I type
startx I get the message:
xinit: libXext.so.6.1 not found. What's wrong?
- 9.7 When starting X, I get
"ld.so: warning: libm.so.0.0: minor version >= 1 expected, using it anyway". Should I worry about this?
- 9.8 When starting X, I get
"ld.so: Undefined symbol "__sys_errlist" in X:X", and then X just dies. What am I doing wrong?
- 9.9 When using X and fvwm, I've noticed that the mouse tends to wrap around the left side of the screen. What's up?
- 9.10 After using X for several hours, I've noticed that certain keys, such as the arrow keys or the 'a' key stop working. Is there a fix?
- 9.11 I have two monitors, but how can I get xterms and stuff to come up on the second monitor?
- 9.12 What's wrong with the up and down arrow keys under X?
- 9.13 I've noticed that the speaker no longer seems to beep when I'm running X. What's wrong?
- 9.14 A Black & White X Window System is cool, but what about color?
- 9.15 When starting X, I get
Fatal server error: Can't run X server with no screens!, and then X just dies. What am I doing wrong?
- 9.16 I like X, but my German keyboard makes things a bit difficult. Is there a fix?
- 9.17 When I start X, I get the error:
/dev/grf2: not found. What's wrong?
- 9.18 How do I keep console messages from messing up my X screen?
- 9.19 After upgrading everything but my X server, I get strange error messages about fonts. How can I fix this?
- 9.20 When I try to start X, my machine appears to hang. What am I doing wrong?
- 9.21 When I start X, everything runs in lovely shades of pink and yellow. What's wrong?
- 9.22 The keyboard emulation for mouse
buttons 1, 2, and 3 doesn't work.
- 9.23 My backspace key produces ~ instead
- 10.1 When rebooting it says,
"WARNING: cannot set battery backed clock...". Should I be concerned?
- 10.2 When rebooting it says,
"NetBSD/mac68k does not trust itself to update the RTC on shutdown." Should I be concerned?
- 10.3 When I boot, I get the following error message:
- 10.4 When I boot, I get the following unusual lines:
- 10.5 My keyboard locks up after I type a few commands. What's wrong?
- 10.6 I just switched the SCSI ID's of my drives, and now my machine freezes after:
- 10.7 The NetBSD 1.1 distribution kernel will not boot on my IIci. What's wrong?
- 10.8 When I try
netstat -r I get:
netstat: kvm_read kvm_read: Bad address. What's wrong?
- 10.9 When I try
netstat -r I get an endless stream of question marks. What's wrong?
- 10.10 I just upgraded to a new kernel and now
netstat, among others, don't work. What happened?
- 10.11 After changing kernels, I get a "proc size mismatch" error when I try to use ps. What's wrong?
- 10.12 Whenever I make extensive use of the serial ports, I get a lot of fifo overruns. Is there a fix?
- 10.13 When I boot, I get the following error message:
- 10.14 When going multi-user, I get the following error message:
- 10.15 Now that I've got ethernet working, my machine hangs a lot with the message:
- 10.16 Now that I've installed an ethernet card, I get the following message:
- 10.17 Whenever I telnet into my Mac running NetBSD from a machine running Mac OS, SunOS, or Solaris, I have severe terminal emulation problems. What's wrong?
- 10.18 Why does Booter 1.9.2 always crash with an
Unimplemented Trap system error?
- 10.19 Why do I get the message
savecore: can't find device 0/0 when I go multi-user?
- 10.20 Now that I've added an ethernet card right next to my video card, why does MacBSD refuse to boot?
- 10.21 Why do I get the line:
ae0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 65280 when I boot?
- 10.22 When attempting to mount my filesystems, why do I get an error like
/dev/sd0a on /: specified device does not match mounted device?
- 10.23 I added a non-standard ADB device and now my machine gives the following error:
- 10.24 Whenever I install something using the Installer, I get an error saying:
Warning: Battery clock earlier than filesystem date. What's wrong?
- 10.25 When I boot, I get the error:
"kernel is not in a format the booter can understand". What's wrong?
- 10.26 Why am I getting the message:
"sn0: receive descriptors exhausted"?
- 10.27 My boot hangs shortly after printing
"warning: no /dev/console" What's wrong?
- 10.28 I just upgraded my kernel, and now when I boot, I get the following message:
- 10.29 My machine hangs when I try to shut it down or reboot it. How can I get around this?
$NetBSD: index.html,v 1.2 2007/06/09 20:18:05 dsieger Exp $
Copyright © 1994-2003
The NetBSD Foundation, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.